My Bag of Squid

.. to kick down the beach. So stand back.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Open Source BullSHIT

Fuck does this ever suck. Considering, though, how regularly this shit happens with open-source crap, it should be something I should anticipate more often. Fuck, though is it annoying. Check it out:
+ autoconf
configure.ac:4: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:5: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:16: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
configure.ac:17: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.ac:37: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
configure.ac:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
configure.ac:72: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
configure.ac:134: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
configure.ac:186: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
configure.ac:321: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0
configure.ac:325: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_2_0
configure.ac:650: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_PERL_MODULES
configure.ac:1222: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE
configure.ac:1334: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_BINRELOC
configure.ac:1344: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_VAR_TIMEZONE_EXTERNALS
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.73932 (%prep)
Let me explain. So I'm building software which incorporates some of this auto-configure crap (AKA AutoCrap and a host of other names) and, of course, I don't have a Configure script, which I apparently need. So, as far as I know, I have to generate one. Yay! So I try to with what I assume to be the way to do so.

Hail no, apparently. Either my version is out of date or it's missing something unknown so that It Just Doesn't Work.

And that's my biggest beef about building open-source stuff: The fucking things are designed by fucking 15 year old kids who have nothing better to do than grab this fucking week's goddamned release of whatever they want, make no fucking notes nor make any checks in their code, and just assume that people following behind them have the same flash of niche fucking insight to simply understand what to do from one point to the next. And, by upgrading my development tools so they're like whatever this dumb kids was using, I also invalidate the support contract for this devel machine, since I'm adding custom stuff which isn't tested.

Fucking Open Source GNU bullshit with their This Week's Release, no backward fucking compatibility and no fucking hints, documentation or assistance. Fuck YOU, Richard Stallman, for the machine you've created and then - like any open-source project - decided to fucking ignore when the actual work got difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home