My Bag of Squid

.. to kick down the beach. So stand back.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Oracle Linux move a worry for Whom?

InfoWorld Tech Watch | InfoWorld | Oracle move a worry for Red Hat | October 25, 2006 03:24 PM | By Neil McAllister:
Oracle has offered comprehensive support for customers who run Oracle databases on Linux in the past, but the new program is something more. According to Ellison, customers will now be able to receive all their patches, security fixes, and backports for RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) releases 3 and 4 directly from Oracle.
I'm sorry. Is there a worrying part here? At least before I settle on a maintenance solution for my enterprise-class operation - if I had one - I'd want to establish that the company providing said maintenance actually had a good track record of providing decent software. Software history, for me, is a bit of a reference as to the quality of the software whcih will be produced, oddly enough.

Oracle database software doesn't work on servers, so much as it works over a server. In recent software test work, images which sprung to mind rather closely resembled bullies picking on the Short Kid and stealing his lunch money than the peaceful cohabitation of dinosaurs and men we've come to know and love as our state-sanctioned history. Playing nice isn't really known to be one of the strong points of an 800-lb gorilla, nor the software it makes.

I'll not throw too much mud around here, but I will suggest that, from where I'm sitting I just don't think that Oracle will be able to offer much better service and support for RedHat's products than RedHat has and will offer, although I'm sure an 800-lb-gorilla-ish 'support package' will be in the works. And when I throw a bag of money at RedHat, at least I know the money's going directly toward RH and Linux development and some innovation; I can't say as much for the same money thrown at Oracle or Novell, at least until the likes of Alan or TEG change employers.

I own a Mazda. I don't get it fixed at the Subaru dealer. By the same token, I don't think RedHat has much to worry about, since I already know who'll best support my RedHat servers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home